Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Yet Again, Another Opportunity to Practice.


Have you ever noticed how “your” issues seem to pop up in so many random places that you start to realize, maybe they’re not so random.  Like you move half way around the world, and, isn’t that interesting, there’s “your” issue once again.

My Happy Hour, Be Your Own Wingman style, was a really fun, positive night.  Thanks to all who attended.  Your emails and follow up conversations have felt so warm and wonderful, I greatly appreciate them.

However, from that night, my “issue” has reemerged and I haven’t written a blog or chapter since.  So why no follow up?  I’ve noticed, for what seems like the thousandth time in my life, that after a successful endeavor, I don’t follow through, I basically “drop the ball” and don’t take advantage of the momentum I have created.  I just don’t finish, be it in my professional or personal life. 
Do you have that issue as well?  When you have a successful event or experience, one that should be followed up on, be it in business or life, does fear, perfectionism, inertia or laziness get in your way and you… do nothing.  You let the opportunity pass and tell yourself its ok.    It’s like you resist… everything.  And once that gets in your head, like many things, I guess that’s how it becomes your issue. 

Well, if there is one thing I’ve learned since beginning BeYourOwnWingman.com is that I can do, be or have anything I put my mind to.  I just have to think about what I want and begin to practice.  

So today, I change.  No more will this be “my issue”. 
Today I become a consistent finisher.  I have decided to put two of my practices together to accomplish that.  The 2 practices are:

1)      Progress not Perfection, and
2)      Keep your discipline rolling.

Has this ever happened to you?  Where you wanted to follow up something, be it a
phone call, conversation, exercise plan, diet, project, etc. and you procrastinated until the moment has passed? 
Be it business or more private, have you ever had “paralysis by analysis”?

Then perhaps you will want to join me in my latest challenge, one that will require us to “keep our discipline rolling, stay consistent, and finish what we start”.  My thinking is to do something that requires a bit of discipline, although keep it achievable, and put it out there so there is some accountability.

This is what I’ve come up with.

Starting Friday, I will write at least a paragraph on whatever practice I did that morning, and will do so for the next 10 days. 

I ask that you join me and do a practice of your own choosing, or the one I’ve chosen, daily for the next 10 days. It will only take about 2 minutes each day and having you join me via email will help create a great deal of synergy for all of us. 
You can also just read it on my blog as well, www.beyourownwingman.com, but, if you would like to commit to consciously doing a practice each and every day for the next 10 days, email me back and I will email you the exercise I did that particular morning.

It may not be perfect, but it will certainly be progress and the practice will help us attract more positive energy and better outcomes to our lives.  The funny thing is, as I write this I realize the perfection is actually in the progress.  Just keep moving forward, yeah, that’s it, progress, not perfection.  We can do this.

I look forward to joining me, and to your comments.

Thanks for letting me be your wingman today.
In Appreciation,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment