Friday, February 24, 2012

Julie Andrews

Have you ever gone to bed irritated, either at someone, some thing or, even worse, yourself? Then, lo and behold, when you wake up, you find yourself still in an irritated mood. Well that's where I found myself this morning and I know from my past, oftentimes when a day begins like this, it continues like this.

I realized immediately I needed to do something to get me in a better mood.

What I decided to do was a practice I call "Julie Andrews" because of her wonderful song “A Few of My Favorite Things” in the movie, The Sound of Music.
It's an easy exercise and one you can even do while driving to work.
Just start thinking of better feeling thoughts.

I thought about...
That I had a really nice date with my wife on Saturday ( we went to grounds for sculpture, highly recommended).
A movie I saw and really liked (The Way, by Emilio Estevez, starring his Dad, Martin Sheen).
How much fun I'm having doing the Talk-n-Angels radio show.
How I had a nice time earlier this week playing poker.
How business seems to be going well.
Of having lunch with my son yesterday.
How much i enjoy taking walks with my dog.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Any thought that makes me feel a little bit better is a thought worth thinking.

Now, if things are not going so well in your life then it may be best to expand your thought process as Julie did when singing her song. She sung of more general types of things, such as raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. Again, any thought that makes you feel better, is a thought worth thinking.

The longer I went on, the better I started feeling.
And pretty soon, I was in a pretty good mood.
This is a practice I have done a few times before and it always seems to work.
Try it for yourself and see if it can help you turn your mood around.

Thanks for allowing me to be your wingman today.
In Appreciation,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment