Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ten Days

My 21 year old son had come to stay with me and I am embarrassed by how challenging it became for me.  After all my radio shows, my meetings and all my practice.

It was too easy.  How could I revert to this person I no longer wanted to be?
Screaming, yelling, irritated. 
I was surprised at how quickly I fell into the old dynamics of our relationship.
 
It wasn’t completely dreadful though, as together, we were able to accomplish
some pretty great work that needed to be done.
I now choose to focus on that. 

Which gave me an idea.

If I could change so unfavorably during that 10 day period, perhaps I can take the same amount of time and push myself to change in a more healthy direction.
My timing coincides with the Jewish New Year which begins Thursday with Rosh Hashanah and ends the following Saturday, on Yom Kippur.  This 10 day period is known as a time for serious introspection, to consider the sins of the previous year, and repent. Among the customs of this time, it is also common to seek reconciliation with people you may have wronged during the course of the year.
And so…In honor of my son’s ability to hang with me for 10 days and be who he needed to be, I am embarking on a 10 day journey of my own (of course you can join me) in which I will eat or drink only water, fruits and vegetables.  Only raw, juiced or steamed.
No salt, no oil, no anything.  Not even one cheese steak.
My plan is for this physical cleanse to kick start a deeper practice of exploration of myself and our universe.  I hope you can join me.

Thanks for allowing me to be your wingman today.
In Appreciation, Mike

2 comments:

  1. Good reflection, Mike. It seems like loved ones always "push our buttons", probably because they mean so much more to us than friends or co-workers ever will. Don't worry - you'll both grow up one day :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to break the dance you learn to do with the ones you are closest too. They keep doing the step you have learned together and it forces you to return to old habits. Glad that upon reflection you have taken from it whatever important lesson you needed. How's the detox going?

    ReplyDelete