Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thanks Dad.


Thanks Dad.

My dad was clearly around me yesterday as my son not only mentioned him, but on my daily walk, right in the middle of my path was a $.25 cent piece face up that made me think of him.  While we didn't have the best relationship back when I was younger and he was alive, I am thankful for his presence and appreciate him being in my life now.

It was therefore no surprise this morning when in the midst of my walk I felt him again.  This conversation ensued:

“Hi Dad.  I feel you around me and I appreciate it.  Do you have a message for me?”

“Yes.  You're doing great. They can handle life. You're doing great. Don't worry so much about it.  You pushed my buttons just like yours are now being pushed, and then you blow up and move on.  Focus on how you’ve helped and what you’ve learned.  It's now time for you to move on.  Think about where you are right now and how much you now understand.  It seems a great deal more than before. 
Be thankful for that. Be appreciative of that, and enjoy everything you've now learned.

Keep practicing as best you can.  Don't stop because something gets in your way.  There is nothing wrong with taking a break from it.  There is nothing wrong with feeling bad.  As a matter of fact, feeling bad can be a great day.  It can help you think about what you really want and help provide real clarity.  Focus.  Enjoy it. 

Don't get so tied up and wrapped up and worried about it.  Enjoy what happens, and keep on practicing to be the person, or better, the wingman you want to be. 

Help people. Figure out how to help others and not only will this lifetime be happy, but you will help make others happy as well.  Just keep practicing being a wingman. 
Look for progress, not perfection.

Practice asking… "How can I help you?" 
Those 5 words will get you started on a beautiful path and you will not believe how happy you can be.  How can I help you?  It’s as simple as that.

How can I help you?  A toast… To being a wingman.”

“Thanks Dad, is there more?

Dad…  How can I help you?”

“You have, but there is one thing…can I get your Wingman of the Week award?”

And so, for all those times you were there for me, allow me to present my “Wingman of the Week Award” to my father, Robert Gross.

Thanks Dad.

1 comment: