Monday, October 24, 2011

The Owl...



The Owl...

"Be cool this morning Monte,” I said to my dog, “I want to see something". 
He'll often chase away deer before I can I get a real look at them.

Immediately, the Owl to my left called me over.
As many of you know, to hear an Owl is one thing, to see one, so much rarer. 
This one called me straight to him. 

Over our morning juice I told my wife about the owl.  "What's so amazing, you're in the woods, you see owls."  "Not like this", I replied. 
Clearly I had been expecting a different reaction.

"Do you recall my conversation with Bill, the insurance executive at that big meeting I attended last month?  I know this sounds a bit strange but I feel like I had the same conversation today with the owl?

"Really, tell me about it." I think I saw her reach for her phone and start dialing 911.

“Remember, I had thanked him for inviting me to the meeting and expressed some doubts about some business issues”.

He replied, "Don't worry, it will all work out, you'll see" in such a way, I felt I was being inducted into some kind of secret society.
My "conversation" today with the owl was the same. 
In his hooting, I heard, "Don't worry, it will all work out, you'll see".

"Perhaps you should wash the kitchen floor."
That was my wife's way of saying I'm losing it and need to do something productive.  Generational wisdom passed down through the years.
At least she put down the phone.

"Ok", I said dropping it, but I knew more research was needed. I had another meeting scheduled with Bill, my straight laced insurance executive friend, so, at the risk of really being institutionalized; I mentioned the owl story to him.

"You know Mike, I'm from the country and I've seen a few owls… but I'll tell you something, there are things in our world many people don't ever get to see, but we know they are there".

"I know” I said way too excitedly, for at that moment I was certain he was speaking of angels, wingmen and wise owls.  Or was it something else entirely? 
I never got to ask, for at that moment he was called away and our conversation ended.

I returned home, picked up the mop, and started on the kitchen floor.

Thanks for allowing me to be your wingman today.

In Appreciation, Mike

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Owls typically aren't seen, so for this owl to call to you, was special, and for you to listen was even more incredible. It just works that way sometimes, if we just listen, we can get answers in the most amazing ways! :)

    ReplyDelete