Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Four Things about Yesterday


and my unexpected...

Wingman of the Week
6/1-6/8/2011 

     

Yesterday was a miserable day for me.  Not only did I get destroyed in the poker room, (and not just financially, but confidence breaking as well) but my car broke down on the Betsy Ross bridge.  I was miserable! And more than that… I wanted to be miserable.  I was miserable to be around and miserable to those around me.  It was, to use an Abraham term, a day of contrast.

Today, I woke up and as I took my first step into the woods I was inspired to name five things I loved about yesterday.  I got to 4, and was pretty happy about that.  Hmmm, maybe that's the fifth, how this little process got me in a much better mood, ready to meet some challenges, ready to go after and manifest what I truly desire. That’s actually a pretty good fifth.

So here are the other four...

1) I just added another leg to my trip out west as I’ll be meeting SARK for breakfast prior to flying to Las Vegas for the World Series of Poker. I can't think of a better person to speak with as I head to the WSOP.

2). My son, Lyle, stopped over after my ordeal and after leaving to grab some lunch actually came back for more of my friendly demeanor. As my fury had no bounds it was really good to see him return and hang with me.

3) Poker.  I played at a very good table yesterday and held my own for awhile but could not sustain it.  If I truly want to make my living in the arena of poker, it became very apparent that much more preparation is needed, especially in the area of patience and discipline.  Yes, just another way practice is necessary in my life.

4) I started realizing how much I’ve been thinking of my brother Stevie who died about 8 years ago.  We talked of him “finding” me at the World Series of Poker and this is the first time I will be attending it. I’m hoping to “connect” with him out there.  I’ve often said that the poker room has been a great classroom for me in my life and I fully expect this journey will add to my many lessons.

So… when desire springs forth from contrast I find it wise to pay attention.  My contrast began at the poker table against an excellent player whom I only know as “Big Belly”.  He schooled me on how much more training I need.  Like attracts like and my day continued in a downward spiral until I awoke today and challenged myself to find these 5 things that were fantastic about yesterday.

Therefore, for helping supply the contrast which led me to practice appreciation in the aftermath of a miserable day…

I bestow the honor of Wingman of the week to… “Big Belly”.

Thank you Big Belly, thank you for being my wingman this week.

In Appreciation, Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment