Friday, July 22, 2011

Dr. Wayne, Lao Tzu and me… who wouldathunk it?


Practicing Dr. Dyer’s exercise from the first chapter of “Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life” had me studying the continuum of desire vs. desireless or wanting vs. allowing.  It certainly got me thinking more paradoxically, which I believe was the point of the exercise. 

My goal was to be able to move myself along that continuum to where I can create, or manifest whatever I desire.  But to do so, I must be desireless. 

Hmmm.  Quite the conundrum!
How?  How can I enable myself to extend my wanting to where I’m allowing? 

I decided to follow his words and so I practiced.  Consistently. 
Any time I had a desire, I would practice feeling where I was on that scale between wanting and allowing.  It helped.  I’d feel my desire and I could tell where it was on the continuum.  Was I trying, or even worse, trying to hard?  Or was I trusting it would happen?

I started looking at my choice of words.  Allowing, permitting and trusting are all good words that many use, but they are difficult for me to live when I have a strong desire.
But then it hit me.

Inviting. 

If I invite you to a party, I obviously want you to be there.  After I’ve invited you, at that point I am now allowing.  I can do no more.  I have made my wishes known.  All I can now do is allow. 

I love this.  You want a house on the beach?  Invite it.  Better health, a new partner, a new car?  Whatever you want… just invite it as if you were inviting a friend to your house for dinner.

And start cooking.

In appreciation, Mike

2 comments:

  1. Good blog, Mikey! Yes, this is a tough one for many of us - we often just can't (or won't) step back and get out of our own way! We are so action oriented that we always feel we *have to do something*. I also find that if I revert to doing what kids do and playfully create an entire new world just in my head, one in which things are the way I want them to be, that I also release so much control, resistance and *desire*. After all, it's playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself trying too hard most of the time. Surrendering, and letting go is hard for me. But I love the idea of inviting. Releasing control and just letting go - but still visualizing the desire for something new or different. You mentioned practicing Mike, and I am going to start today. Thanks for another golden nugget!!

    ReplyDelete