Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Next Step in My Education

Self exploration was the reason this blog began. 
To increase my clarity, to practice positive thinking, to train myself to always be part of the solution.  In short, to be my own wingman.

Much work is needed, but each step brings me closer to my objective.  My staff meeting has been my most consistent training … and in reading my last blog, it did not feel right to me. 

I was struck by how often I used the words, “please help me with ...”

My staff meeting now sounded to me like prayer.  And while I have nothing against prayer, it does not feel the same to me as having a staff meeting.  It was certainly not the tone I intended.

I find the words we choose mean so much to our belief system.  When I began holding staff meetings, I delegated my desires to my staff as if I was a CEO telling my staff what I needed.  I wanted ideas for financial independence; I turned to my Chief of Finance.  Improved health, my Chief of Health.  Anything I needed, I delegated to those who could get it done, and in delegating responsibility, I expected ideas, I expected action. 
I expected whatever I requested.

I view this process of delegation and expectation very differently from prayer.
While prayer is similar to delegating because it requests something desired, to me it sounds wishful or hopeful, and I feel the doubt in my gut. 

Desires that are laced with doubt do not feel as good as desires that are surrounded with expectation and belief (thanks Abe).  It's the difference between asking for help, and delegating responsibility to get something done.  Again, when delegating, I expect my desired outcome.

Therefore… today's staff meeting.

“I need to be clear here.  The words I will use in future staff meetings will be that of delegating to you rather than asking.  I appreciate your understanding as to how that helps me move forward in creating all I desire.”

In appreciation,

Mike

1 comment: