Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Is Your Check Engine Light on?

Check Engine Light

So lately I’ve been discovering how my outer circumstances are a direct reflection of my inner being. How if some misery is taking place, such as I’m not happy with my financial situation or I find myself fighting with loved ones, then most likely there’s something off kilter going on inside me.
And lately, I’ve learned a fantastic lesson.

If I can see the problems going on inside of me, I can change them from the inside out. Change the unbalanced feeling inside of me and my outer reality changes as well.  Sort of like when Wayne Dyer says, “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change”.

That’s when I saw the above sign and realized that maybe what we as humans need is a “Check Engine Light” to let us know when something is amiss inside us. Perhaps then we could change it before our bank account, our relationships or our health takes a turn for the worse.

The real lesson though, is that as humans we believe it is easier to fix our “situation” by focusing on our outer circumstance. I’m finding it easier and more efficient to focus on how I’m feeling emotionally, for when I’m able to calm myself, or improve my vibe even slightly, my physical situation changes as well. The good news is there are many practices to help us do this, and by definition of the Law of Attraction, when we can raise our vibration even by the slimmest of margins, the things around us change as well.

I had a perfect example of this last week. My son and I have been “banging heads” for a while now, and I haven’t felt particular good about it. He was being forced by his mother to go to a self help/bible study class given by a teacher she really enjoys and I was drafted to drive him. An hour drive each way, lunch, plus the class, gave us plenty of time together which usually ends with us fighting. I realized I’d been very focused on how much we constantly fight, and how he “needs to change his attitude”. I’d also been very aware of not feeling particularly happy around him lately. I felt frustrated. I felt guilty. I felt blame. I felt disappointment.

I decided to try a practice I read about from Abraham-Hicks called “Which Thought Feels Better” in the hopes that by raising my vibration I could begin enjoying our relationship much better. The first step was to identify how I’d been experiencing him.

He never helps me.
He’s very stubborn and even though his way doesn’t seem to make sense, he doesn’t listen.
He doesn’t seem to care about me at all.

I then began the process by reaching for thoughts about him that felt better. As I wrote my thoughts down, I also wrote if the thought felt better, worse or the same as the vibration I was currently feeling.

I began…
I wish I had taught him better. (worse)
He has so much potential. (better)
He’s not working to his potential. (worse)
He’s very irresponsible. (same)
He’s a pain in the neck. (same)
I remember when he was such a sweet, nice boy. (better)
I know he has a lot on his mind. (better)
I remember the difficulties of being his age. (better)
I don’t have to “fix it” today. (better)
Things have been getting better between us. (better)
I want to have a better relationship with him. (better)
I know he wants us to have a better relationship. (better)
I know I am able to change my attitude and by doing so I can make things better. (better)

As I consciously worked on raising my vibration around our relationship I noticed a slight bit of relief. My next step was to set my intention to spend some quality time with my son, enjoying his company. This practice helped change my internal temperature, allowing me to reduce my resistance and begin the steps toward approaching him differently. I’m happy to report we had the best day we’ve had in a while, filled with heartfelt conversation, laughter and hope.

If your “Check Engine Light” is on, I urge you to try this practice and hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

Thanks for allowing me to be your wingman today.
In Appreciation, 
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment