Friday, November 18, 2011

Michael Yale Seletsky

A wingman succumbed to his physical battle a week ago.  He was a great friend to many.

Strange, for I feel I’ve spoken with him often these past few days. 
I find his words and mannerisms being part of me. 
I notice I’m smiling a bit more as I think of him.

Michael had that effect on you as he stared into your eyes, hearing your every word. 
When I was with Michael, I saw my world as a better place. 
If you had met him, you would know what I mean.

We wouldn’t be done the first course before solutions made problems disappear.
By dessert, and Michael did love a great dessert, we'd be laughing hysterically. 
But always there was a sense of calm.

One late night, many years ago, as evening turned to morning, I met up with Michael.  Not surprisingly, we were soon in his car going to a pancake house. 
As we got out of the car, there in the parking lot, we were ambushed by five drunk and angry guys. 
As I felt the fear rising within me, I’ll never forget his words. 

“Just relax, it will be ok, I’ve got this.  Can you hold my coat?”

I only had to hold it for what seemed like seconds, as Michael dispersed of them powerfully and efficiently.  As I handed him back his coat, I actually felt like I had assisted.  Like holding his coat was an important part of what needed to be done.

That was the essence of Michael; he would always carry the load but make you feel indispensible.  
I will always remember that feeling…

As George Eliot said, “Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them”.

Michael will never be forgotten by those of us who were fortunate to have known him.
We’ll always remember how his physical presence would fill a room and his laughter would fill our hearts with joy.

Michael was a true wingman though, and I believe his spirit was far greater then any physical body could contain.  I know I felt him this morning as I walked through the woods, and feel him now as I write these words. 

I don’t eat pancakes much any more, but I often think back to that night, especially in times of stress.  Now however, it’s his confidence I feel permeating my being.

“Just relax, it will be ok, I’ve got this.” And with him as my wingman, I know I do.  

I know I speak for many when I say...
“Thank you, Michael, thank you for being such a fantastic Wingman”. 

It is my honor to present a Wingman of the week award to Michael Yale Seletsky. 

In Appreciation,

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Well stated, you captured our friend, brother, forever missed. There was and can only be one Michael. Miss him dearly, thank you for stating so eloquently his presence. rb

    ReplyDelete